Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Orion

Orion, my 3 year old colt came a long way this summer. He went from being a spoiled, spazy colt to a mature (mentally and physically), calm gelding. He's a pleasure to ride and is fairly easy to work with when it comes to fine tuning. We've even been able to jump low set jumps one or two times.
I recently bought a new english saddle that I am planning to use on him. He's not going to be a full on english horse, he'll excell more at reining, but i want him to be able to go any direction. I am really pleased with him and excited to have the next few years at college in Montana with him.
A BIG accomplishment this summer was showing and 4-h horse camp. He was amazing at camp and was often mistaken for a six or seven year old because of his attitude. He was calm, never bucked, and crossed rivers without batting an eye. He was a pro! I was able to show him three times this year and he took two firsts, four seconds, a third and a fourth. He placed in every class that he entered except for one, beginner horse. It just gives us something else to work toward.

2 comments:

  1. Orion is coming along so nicely! Great job. I have a dream of finishing a young horse someday. I have an Andalusian/TB cross I want desperately, but hubby says no way. He is four, but will be five in April and ready to fly. Chena could really jump with this fella!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Orion is a one of a kind horse! There are a lot of horses for sale, most of them being 5 and up. I personally like getting them yound because then you build a bond. I know my horses would never put me in harms was, Vice versa. That's why we can go anywhere and everywhere. We have a connection that is way stronger then a horse that has been with a different owner for longer. Also i really love training!

    ReplyDelete